Thursday, November 4, 2010

Superchunk Song Review Project 5: "Night Creatures"

Why Superchunk covered this song is kind of mysterious to me. I mean, I don't think the original is particularly good, though maybe there's something about the Flys I'm missing. And Superchunk's version is pretty true to the original. More or less I always hate these syncopated pop beats, and this is one of the few Superchunk songs to feature it. I think the solo is pretty great, and it seems to me its a dueling guitar solo which is one of my favorite things ever. And the vocals are great, really belted out. Like when he sings "Follow you AROWOUND" right at the beginning, its that same sort of faux-tough guy voice Mac uses all over the place in the early recordings. LOVE IT. But overall, I feel this is a kind of weak song.

No comments:

Post a Comment