Monday, August 23, 2010

The greatest song of all time, RIGHT NOW...

is "Foolish" by Superchunk and I mean "Foolish" and not "Like a Fool".

In all honesty, this is quite possibly my favorite song ever and I mean like every second of every day since the day I heard it the first time I have wished that world was as promised in this song but am sort of glad that it isn't because if it were I'd probably be crying all the time with some combination of heartbreak and nerd passion. It is hypnotic: one drum beat the whole song, basically one riff and the guitars just wailing with feedback and that huge huge huge distorted Superchunk bass. There are probably like 20 guitar tracks on this song. And they bury the vocals. The singer is just lost is this total maelstrom. Like his id is in chaos, and there's this little tiny ego in there trying to get out! I mean, this isn't a crazy idea. The line at the outset is "it would be nice to leave sometimes," I think. The claustrophobic music makes you really feel trapped. And there's an even more buried background vocal line, I have no idea what its saying...I guess that its the superego! (Pop psychology! How lame am I!?!?!?!)

But here's the point: the the beat is so nerd sexy that maybe you don't want to leave. Here he is complaining about getting out of this situation, here he is talking about how stupid he is and, yeah, the music is loud and in your face, but the drum beat and repeating riff WILL NOT LET YOU GO. It locks you in, ties you down. It is (to quote the song directly) a "couch sucking me in." And you know, he doesn't sing the lines too passionately for most of the song. But in the last iteration of the lines, when he gets to the couch line, he nails it. And he belts a little about his foolishness at the end.

This song is perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment